2. Describe the role atmosphere (clouds, ozone) plays in precipitation, reflecting and filtering light from the Sun, and trapping heat energy emitted from the Earth's surface
Begin discussion of our atmosphere by using Mars and Venus as comparisons. Use Q and A to address the issues of temperature range, recyling of water, presence of oxygen and atmospheric pressure and how these factors affect our ability to adapt to this planet.
Assessment: Quiz addressing these factors
Have student groups research one of four factors and post results on wiki. Three groups will reflect how their factor compares with our two neighboring planets, while the other group will explain the process of the water cycle. Once groups post results, have the other groups reflect on their research.
Introduce the layers of the atmosphere and their characteristics using the PowerPoint and Reading guide Layers of the Atmosphere Students should recognize the role of temperature and pressure in distinguishing these layers. Be sure to address the presence of the ozone and its role in protecting living organisms. Make sure students support five ideas within their wiki response about ozone. 1)What is ozone, 2)what is ozone composed of, 3)where is ozone located, 4)how is the ozone of benefit and 5)what would happen to life on earth without ozone.
Use the animation Atmosphere Layers Animated divide into five groups and have each group investigate the diagram. After approximately 15 minutes, pass out a number indicating group order, then have each group select one of the factors to present to the class. Other groups may ask questions about their factors. Use Wiki questions to reinforce ideas of temperature change with height and altering the composition of gases within our atmosphere.
Culminating Assessment: Quiz addressing Troposhere, Ozone, and Temperature/Pressure changes with Height.
3. Identify and evaluate the physical, social, economic, and/or environmental problems that may be overcome using science and technology (the need for alternative fuels to overcome the effects of a polluted atmosphere)
Students will create an action plan explaining a atmospheric problem. Once the action plan is created, use this format to create a short video addressing one of the assigned issues. The atmospheric problems will be: increase in greeenhouse gases, ozone depletion and acid rain.
Assesment: Action Plan. (Microsoft word)
1) What is causing your problem?
2) How is/will it effect us?
3) What can we do to cure/stop this problem from continuing?
4) What ways will you present this information in a short video?
Assessment: Animoto video scoring guide
Assessment: Taking Care of Our Atmosphere Quiz